MINUTES OF ORLETON PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD AT 7.30PM ON THURSDAY 25 APRIL 2019 AT THE VILLAGE HALL
PRESENT B Gandy – Chairman; P Smith – Vice Chairman; and E Clanzy-Hodge.
IN ATTENDANCE Mr D Flory, the Boot Inn; Ward Cllr. S Bowen (Bircher Ward); and R Hewitt (Clerk). There was one member of the public present.
1. Apologies for absence – J Harrison and R Tibbles.
2. Declarations of interest and written dispensations on agenda items – Cllr. Gandy declared a disclosable pecuniary interest in item 11 Good Neighbour Scheme donation. Cllr. Smith declared a disclosable pecuniary interest in planning application 191040 The Bower, and item 11 Good Neighbour Scheme donation.
3. The minutes of the meeting held on 21 March 2019 were agreed and signed as a true record.
4. Report on Herefordshire Council – Ward Cllr. Bowen said that outside of the ‘purdah’ regulations, the work of the council goes on. In response to a question, Cllr. Bowen said concern at the condition of Station Road, Woofferton has been raised with the neighbouring Shropshire County Councillor, and that there has been no follow up from Highways England after a recent meeting which discussed a roundabout at the Salwey Arms junction on the A49. The Chairman said he will write to the constituency MP on these highway concerns, and that the locality steward has been asked to repair a dangerous pothole on the B4361.
5. Clerk’s report and reports on meetings attended by parish councillors – Electoral Services have published the Result of Uncontested Election for Orleton Parish. A volunteer is organising a litter pick on 11 May 2019, and Ward Cllr. Bowen has kindly offered to collect the litter pick equipment from Balfour Beatty, which is available for this purpose. The Annual Parish Meeting took place on 11 April 2019, and included a presentation by West Mercia Police on crime prevention. The British Heart Foundation has been asked in writing for the reason(s) behind the decision to decline the application for a second village defibrillator.
The Chairman said the Community Conference on 4 April 2019 was well attended, and shared an article on the event which will be published in Grapevine.
6. Invitation to members of the public to address the council (limited to 15) – There were no matters raised.
191028 Boot Inn, Kitchen Hill Road, Orleton, SY8 4HN – Proposed alterations, including removal of external porch, blocking external door opening, removal of internal walls, structural work to support first floor structure, raise part of ground floor structure, install bar service. Listed building consent. The planning application was supported. The parish council would like to see consideration given to the provision of disabled toilets.
191216 Boot Inn, Kitchen Hill Road, Orleton, SY8 4HN – T1 Yew – prune canopy, T2 Weeping Willow – reduce canopy, T3 Plum – remove ivy and reshape canopy, T5 Ash – fell, T6 Goat Willow – Pollard, and T8 Plum – remove ivy and fell E stem. The proposed tree work was supported.
191040 The Bower, Church Lane, Orleton, SY8 4HU – Proposed works to Fir tree at the front of property and Fir tree at the back. Not considered as meeting would not be quorate due to declared interests.
Herefordshire Council has granted listed building consent for 190118 Orleton House.
i) The latest balances of the parish council accounts were noted: Treasurer – £5,818.66; and Money Manager – £20,338.33. The payment of the P3 footpaths grant (£853.85) for 2018-19 was noted.
ii) The following payments were agreed: D C Gardening Services, footpaths (£24.00); Orleton Village Hall, broadband for two quarters (£235.68); Orleton Recreation Association, insurance 2019-20 (£1,392.80) Clerk, expenses November 2018-March 2019 (£349.51); and Balfour Beatty, installation of Comberton SID socket (£510.00).
iii) The proposed Annual Maintenance Plan for lengthsman and P3 footpaths work in 2019-20 was agreed.
iv) The standing order for the Clerk’s wages was updated to reflect the new rate for SCP27 from 1 April 2019.
9. Lengthsman/ Highways and Footpaths – The lengthsman will be asked to clear weeds around the bench on Tunnel Lane by Hewell Cottage. A report from the footpaths officer was noted. The parish council will ask the footpaths officer to let the lengthsman clear weeds on a footbridge by the railway. ‘No dog fouling’ signs will be laminated and placed by footpaths where complaints have been received about dog mess.
10. The Boot Inn – It was agreed to provide a letter of support for a grant application by the Boot Inn for the provision of public internet facilities during opening hours. The parish council is not aware of any other similar community facility existing or planned currently in the village or parish.
Mr D Flory joined the meeting and talked about the community internet planned at the Boot Inn.
11. Donation to support the good neighbour scheme – Deferred.
12. Matters raised for next meeting (no discussion) – SID hire.
13. Information items – Noted.
14. Date of next meeting – 7.30pm, Thursday 16 May 2019 (Annual Meeting).
The meeting closed at 9.00 pm.